QuickBooks is one of the most popular accounting software programs used by businesses of all sizes. It helps users manage their financial data, invoices, and other essential accounting tasks efficiently. However, like any other software, QuickBooks is not immune to errors. One such error that users often encounter is QuickBooks Error H505. In this blog post, we will discuss this error and how to use the primary key to resolve it.
What is QuickBooks Error H505?
QuickBooks Error H505 is a common error that occurs when a user tries to access QuickBooks in multi-user mode. It indicates that the computer on which the QuickBooks company file is stored needs additional configuration settings to allow other users to access the same file.
Possible Causes of QuickBooks Error H505
There can be various causes of QuickBooks Error H505, including:
- Incorrect hosting configuration settings in QuickBooks
- The firewall settings of the computer blocking QuickBooks
- Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks installation files
- Issues with DNS settings
How to Resolve QuickBooks Error H505?
Here are some troubleshooting steps that you can follow to resolve QuickBooks Error H505:
- Verify Hosting Settings First, verify that the hosting settings in QuickBooks are configured correctly. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open QuickBooks on the computer that hosts the company file.
- Go to the File menu and select Utilities > Host Multi-User Access.
- If you see the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option, click on it.
- Next, go to the File menu again and select Utilities > Host Multi-User Access.
- Select Yes when the message “Multi-user setup is complete” appears.
- Check Firewall Settings
Firewall settings can also cause QuickBooks Error H505. You should ensure that the firewall settings on the computer hosting the company file are not blocking QuickBooks. Follow these steps to allow QuickBooks through the firewall:
- Go to the Control Panel on the computer hosting the company file.
- Click on Windows Firewall > Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
- Select QuickBooks from the list and checkmark the boxes for both Private and Public.
- Save the changes and restart QuickBooks.
- Verify DNS Settings
You should also verify the DNS settings on the computer hosting the QuickBooks company file. Follow these steps:
- Go to the Control Panel and click on Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on Change adapter settings and locate the network adapter connected to the internet.
- Right-click on the adapter and select Properties.
- Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and select Use the following DNS server addresses.
- Enter the preferred and alternate DNS server addresses and click on OK.
You may also read:- How to resolve QuickBooks Payroll Error PS060
If the above methods do not work, you can use the primary key to resolve QuickBooks Error H505. Here are the steps:
- Create a New Folder
- Create a new folder in the hosting computer and name it “QBTEST”.
- Share the folder and set Windows permissions to allow access to everyone.
- Copy Company File
- Copy the QuickBooks company file to the QBTEST folder.
- Open Company File
- Open QuickBooks on the computer that is displaying the error.
- Go to the File menu and select Open or Restore Company.
- Select Open a company file and click on Next.
- Browse to the QBTEST folder and select the QuickBooks company file.
- Click on Open.
QuickBooks Error H505 can be frustrating for users, but it can be resolved with the right troubleshooting methods. It is essential to identify the root cause of the error to determine the best course of action. In this blog post, we discussed the possible causes of QuickBooks Error H505, including incorrect hosting configuration settings, firewall settings, damaged installation files, and issues with DNS settings.
We also outlined some troubleshooting steps, such as verifying hosting settings, checking firewall settings, and verifying DNS settings, to resolve the error. Additionally, we explained how to use the primary key to fix QuickBooks Error H505 if the previous methods did not work.
In conclusion, if you encounter QuickBooks Error H505, don’t panic. Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned above to fix the error and get back to using QuickBooks. If you are still unable to resolve the issue, consider seeking help from QuickBooks support or consulting an IT professional. Contact us at +18557380359