According to the latest Ken Research Analysis, the global fingerprint sensor market is expected to witness a growth of ~10% over the next six years (2022-2028). The market size was valued at around US $3 Bn in 2017, is estimated at around US $5 Bn by 2022, and is expected to reach US $9 bn by 2028.
For more information, request a free sample
Key Growth Drivers
An increase in the number of intelligent devices, such as tablets, laptops, smartphones, and smart wearables per person, is expected to increase the growth of the studied market. Additionally, the rising demand for biometric devices has accelerated its growth.
- The fingerprint sensor is among the most prominent type of biometrics sensors that is used in various applications and devices, due to which the demand for fingerprint sensors is rising. Tracking the attendance of the employees has become easy with the use of biometric systems. This system prevents employees from logging in for one another hence drastically reducing fraud in attendance systems. These biometric sensors have a thin film transistor (TFT) sensor that allows capacitive sensing to enable its small form factor (3.7 inches x 1.7 inches x 0.3 inches or 95 mm x 45 mm x 8.5 mm) to capture fingerprints under direct sunlight.
Global Fingerprint Sensor Market faces several restraints such as the availability of new technologies like facial recognition and iris recognition. Additionally, the high cost involved in the development of fingerprint sensors is a major barrier to the growth of the market.
- Iris scanning and facial scanning provide an advanced level of biometric security that can act as a substitute for the fingerprint sensor. The facial recognition system analyses the shape and position of different parts of the face to recognize the person. Iris scanning is known to be an excellent security technique, especially if it is performed using infrared light. Japanese auto companies are also actively innovating to integrate iris/facial scanning sensors in their upcoming automotive models.
The impact of COVID-19 pandemic negatively impacted the sales and growth of the Fingerprint Sensor Market. The pandemic led several manufacturers to halt their business operations due to disruptions in the global supply chain. Several manufacturers faced chip shortages and the shelf life of produced fingerprint sensors was increasing. This segment, which comprises wearables, laptops, desktops, and other appliances, was impacted, as production declined due to disruptions in the global supply chain, including China, which is the major hub of OEMs in this segment.
Key Trends by Market Segment
By Type: The capacitive segment held the largest market share in the year 2021 for the Global Fingerprint Sensor Market.
- Capacitive-type fingerprint sensor is widely used in smartphones, laptops, and other electronic devices. As consumer electronic devices mostly use capacitive-type fingerprint sensors in their products, their sales figures are higher than other types of fingerprint sensors. Due to their low cost, easy availability, and compact characteristics, the capacitive fingerprint sensor has also become a popular choice for biometrics smartcards, smart locks, and other access control devices.
- The development of Smartphone Fingerprint Technology recognition penetration rate shows that the Finger on display (FOD) fingerprint display increased from 4% in 2018 to 50.30% in 2022 which shows the increase in demand for Fingerprint Sensor technology.
For more information, request a free sample
By Application: The smartphone/tablet segment held the largest market share in 2021 for the Global Fingerprint Sensor Market.
- As there have been advancements in access control technologies, the adoption of fingerprint sensors in smartphones and laptops has increased. A user is now able to make easy payments via his/her smartphone using authentication by fingerprint sensors. The earliest application of fingerprint sensors in smartphones was by Toshiba in 2011, however, but Apple revolutionized touch ID fingerprint sensors in mobile devices. Apple’s Touch ID is a fingerprint sensor that scans fingerprints, reads them, and finally recognizes the fingerprints. This technology was originally a headlining characteristic of the iPhone 5S, but later this technology has been visible on several newer iPhones, like the iPhone SE (2020), and also on iPads and MacBooks.
By End-User Industries: The consumer electronics segment held the largest market share in 2021 for the Global Fingerprint Sensor Market.
- This growth is mainly due to an increase in demand for sensors that are used in smartphones, tablets notebooks, and laptops. In 2020, according to China Internet Network Information Centre (CNNIC), around 852.5 million users made mobile payment transactions, which surged from 583.3 million users in 2018. These kinds of surges in mobile payment transactions increase the need for fingerprint sensors.
Visit this Link Request for custom report
By Region: The North America Fingerprint Sensor market held the largest share in 2021. On the other hand, Asia Pacific region is expected to grow at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period (2022-2028)
- The market dominance of North America is due to the early adoption of technology and the presence of key players like Apple Inc., Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., and others in the region. Moreover, there has been an increase in investment by the government in the region for border surveillance and homeland security which is further driving the revenue growth of the market.
- Increasing mobile transactions in China, guided by the government’s initiatives, are expected to boost the growth of the fingerprint sensors market in the Asia Pacific region. China is expected to have a high mobile transactional volume, which is expected to create a strong potential for the Fingerprint Sensor market.
The Global Fingerprint Sensor Market is highly competitive with more than 300 players which include globally diversified players, regional players as well as a large number of country-niche players in the Fingerprint Sensor market.
The large global players constitute ~10% in terms of the number of competitors followed by regional players which account for ~30% of the constitution. Most of the country-niche players deal with the local demand of the region. Some of these who successfully evolve to create application-specific solutions often get acquired by large global players seeking to grow and diversify quickly.
Recent Developments Related to Major Players
- In September 2021, IDEMIA launched the SaaS-based Automated Biometric Identification System (ABIS), IDEMIA STORM ABIS, for affordable, accessible, and intuitive fingerprint analysis, documentation, and comparison. IDEMIA STORM ABIS supports national and local searches with the help of tools for analysis, comparison, and case management that allows fingerprint examiners to efficiently and effectively complete examinations from any place.
- In July 2021, Fingerprint Cards collaborated with a Tokyo-based Company named MoriX Co. Ltd to launch and develop biometric payment cards in Japan. This collaboration would bring Japanese consumers a more secure, safe, and easy payment experience.
- In May 2022, Fingerprint Cards collaborated with Transcorp and Mswipe to bring contactless biometric payment cards to India. This payment card range would add convenience and easy payments for merchants and consumers in the region.
The Global Fingerprint Sensor Market is forecasted to continue moderate growth, which is primarily driven by the rising adoption of biometric fingerprint Sensors for accurate identification, faster access, and higher security. The market size is estimated to be US$ 5 Bn in 2022 and is expected to reach US$ 9 Bn by 2028 growing with a CAGR of 10%. North America is the dominant region in terms of revenue generation; however, the Asia Pacific region is expected to grow at a higher pace. Though the market is highly competitive with ~300 participants, few global players control the dominant share and regional players also hold a significant share.
Note: This is an upcoming/planned report, so the figures quoted here for a market size estimate, forecast, growth, segment share, and competitive landscape are based on initial findings and might vary slightly in the actual report. Also, any required customizations can be covered to the best feasible extent for Pre-booking clients, and the report delivered within a maximum of two working weeks.
Ken Research has recently published report titled, Global Fingerprint Sensor Market Size, Segments, Outlook, and Revenue Forecast 2022-2028, Market is segmented by type, application, end-user industries, and geography. In addition, the report also covers the market size for each of the four regions of the Global Fingerprint Market. The revenue used to size and forecast the market for each segment is US$ Billion.
By End-User Industries
- Consumer Electronics
- Travel and Immigration
- Government and Law Enforcement
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East
- Fingerprint Cards AB
- Egis Technology.
- Vkansee Technology Inc.
- Apple Inc.
- CMOS Sensor Inc
- Touch Biometrix
- Q Technology
- Qualcomm Technologies, Inc